Jason Andersen, MD, FAAOS
Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon Sports Medicine and Shoulder Specialist
Dr. Jason S. Andersen completed his undergraduate education at Harvard University, where he received a bachelor’s degree in Economics and was a starter on the varsity soccer team for four years. He earned his medical degree from Temple University in Philadelphia, PA. Following medical school, Dr. Andersen completed his Orthopedic surgery residency at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, NC. After residency, he completed a fellowship in Sports Medicine, Shoulder and Elbow Surgery with OrthoCarolina in Charlotte, NC.
Dr. Andersen is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine, arthroscopy, conditions of the knee, shoulder and elbow, and Orthopedic trauma. He focuses on the prevention and treatment of Orthopedic conditions affecting patients of all ages. Dr. Andersen has specific interests in treating ligament, tendon and cartilage injuries of the knee and shoulder, the surgical and nonoperative treatment of fractures, and general Orthopedics. Dr. Andersen performs many surgeries arthroscopically, in a minimally invasive fashion, which helps facilitate faster recovery and reduces pain for his patients.
During his career, Dr. Andersen has been fortunate to serve as assistant team physician to various sports organizations, including: Carolina Panthers (NFL), Charlotte Knights (Triple A White Sox affiliate), UNC Charlotte, Davidson College, Georgia Highlands College. He has also served as head team physician for several high schools in Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.
In his time away from work, Dr. Andersen and his wife, Kristen, enjoy spending time with their two young daughters. He maintains an active and healthy lifestyle and enjoys participating in many forms of exercise.
COASTAL CAROLINA UNIVERSITY: Conway, SC
Master of Business Administration expected graduation to Spring 2024
- Currently enrolled in the Wall College of Business, with a concentration in Healthcare Administration, while maintaining my full time Orthopedic practice
TEMPLE UNIVERSITY: Philadelphia, PA
Doctor of Medicine, received May 2011
- Awards: Recipient of medical school scholarship every semester
HARVARD UNIVERSITY: Cambridge, MA
Bachelor of Arts in Economics, received June 2005
- Athletics: Starting defender for NCAA Division I varsity soccer team, 2001-2005
GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION
ORTHOCAROLINA: Charlotte, NC
Sports Medicine, Shoulder, Elbow Fellowship, August 2016 – July 2017
- Assistant team physician: Carolina Panthers (NFL), Charlotte Knights (AAA White Sox), Davidson College, UNC Charlotte, Gardner-Webb University, Queens University, West Charlotte High School
WAKE FOREST BAPTIST HEALTH: Winston-Salem, NC
Orthopedic Surgery Residency, July 2011 - June 2016 Wake Forest University School of Medicine
- Scored 95% (ranked among peers) on ABOS board certification written exam
Wellstar Health System Paulding Hospital: Hiram, GA
Department of Orthopedics & Sports Medicine November 2022 to present
CONWAY MEDICAL CENTER: Conway, SC
Department of Orthopedic Surgery: September 2020 – October 2022
HARBIN CLINIC: Cartersville, GA
Department of Orthopedic Surgery: August 2017 – August 2020
- Board certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Active fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Specializing in orthopedic sports medicine; conditions of the shoulder, knee, and elbow; arthroscopic and minimally invasive surgery; treatment of ligament, tendon, and cartilage injuries; shoulder replacement surgery; treatment of fractures; general orthopedics
- Ford SE, Andersen JS, Macknet DM, Connor PM, Loeffler BJ, Gaston RG. Major Complications After Distal Biceps Tendon Repairs: Retrospective Cohort Analysis of 970 Cases. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2018 Oct; 27 (10): 1898-2906
- Marquez-Lara A, Andersen JS, Lenchik L, Ferguson CM, Gupta P. Variability in Patellofemoral Alignment Measurements on MRI: Influence of Knee Position. American Journal of Roentgenology 2017 May; 208 (5): 1097 – 1102.
- Stubbs AJ, Andersen JS, Mannava S, Wooster BM, Howse EA, Winter SB. Arthroscopic Hip Labral Repair: The Iberian Suture Technique. Arthroscopy Techniques 2014 May 27; 3 (3): e351-354.
- Smith J, Iversen M, Brustowicz K, Ogunwole O, Andersen J, Yoo W, McFeely E, Anderson A, Zurakowski D, Kocher M. Reliability, Validity, and Responsiveness of a Modified International Knee Documentation Committee Subjective Knee Form in Children with Knee Disorders. The American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2011 May; 39 (5): 933-939.
- Iversen MD, Lee B, Connell P, Andersen J, Anderson AF, Kocher MS. Validity and comprehensibility of the International Knee Documentation Committee Subjective Knee Evaluation form in Children. The Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports. 2010 February; 20 (1): e87 - 95.
- Tabaddor RR, Banffy MB, Andersen JS, McFeely E, Ogunwole O, Micheli LJ, Kocher MS. Fixation of Juvenile Osteochondritis Dissecans Lesions of the Knee Using Poly 96L/4D-lactide Copolymer Bioabsorbable Implants. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2010 Jan-Feb; 30 (1): 14-20.
- Espinosa N, Dudda M, Andersen J, Bernardi M, Kasser J. Prediction of Spatial Orientation and Morphology of Calcaneonavicular Coalitions. Foot & Ankle International. 2008 February; 29 (2): 205-212.
- Weiss JM, Jordan SS, Andersen JS, Lee BM, Kocher MS. Surgical Treatment of Unresolved Osgood-Schlatter Disease: Ossicle Resection With Tibial Tubercleplasty. Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. 2007 Oct-Nov; 27 (7): 844-847.
- Kocher MS, Czarnecki JJ, Andersen JS, Micheli LJ. Internal Fixation of Juvenile Osteochondritis Dissecans Lesions of the Knee. The American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2007 May; 35 (5): 712-718.
- Kocher MS, Andersen JS. Injuries and Conditions of the Pediatric and Adolescent Athlete. In Fischgrund JS (ed): Orthopedic Knowledge Update 9. Chicago: American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, 2008, 757-771.
- Kocher MS, Andersen JS. Medial Collateral Ligament Reconstruction in the Pediatric Athlete’s Elbow. In Plancher KD, Bishai SK, Browner BD (eds): Techniques in Orthopedics: Surgical Management of Complex Elbow Problems. Philadelphia: Lippincott William & Wilkins, 2006,. 21 (4): 299-310.
- Stubbs AJ, Andersen JS, Mannava S, Wooster BM, Howse EA, Winter SB. Instructional Video: Arthroscopic Hip Labral Repair - The Iberian Suture Technique. Arthroscopy Techniques 2014 May 27; 3 (3): e351-354.